Monday, December 5, 2016

Mav goes Spartan: Mud, Sweat and Cheers!


So I went mud running this weekend! 

If you're one of the eleventeen people who read this blog regularly you know I was discussing doing my first obstacle run, and I'm happy to say that I did indeed run the Mud, Sweat and Cheers Challenge this weekend. 

Of course I couldn't do things he easy or smart way, I missed online registration and I had a birthday party for one of my little superheroes that afternoon. (Happy Birthday Timmy!) So I wasn't even sure I would make the race. I arrived five minutes before the last heat was taking off, so I quickly registered and as I handed in my paperwork and fee I heard the gun go off for the start of the heat so I sprinted off to catch up... Without any warm up... Yeah I know. Not smart.

The run itself was A LOT of fun.  They had a nice variety of different obstacles both man made and natural since it was in the woods and for the most part the course was clearly marked... I did make a wrong turn in Albuquerque at one point and lost some time, there were two paths coming off an obstacle and of course I picked the wrong one, but overall I think they did a good job of keeping things marked clearly and had plenty of volunteers.

As far as my performance, I did every single obstacle and think I did well. No idea of my time because of the screw up, but I wasn't doing it for time.

 I need to work on pacing but part of my issue is the fact that I sprinted at the start and never found a good pace... The course was about 3 miles so it's about the length of a Spartan Sprint which is what I'm training for.

It's safe to say I'm hooked and can't wait for my next obstacle run.  I know what I need to work on training wise and I'm putting together a plan for that as well.

That's it for this week.  I have a Christmas theme virtual on tap for later in the week, can't wait! 


No comments:

Post a Comment