Monday, February 21, 2022

Review: Uncle Sam Vs. Cthulhu #1

It's the match of the century, in one corner you have Uncle Sam, the defender of liberty and in the other...The mighty Cthulhu and the fate of our world hangs in the balance... and yes, it's a wrestling comic, but it's also so much more!


This book was a kickstarter campaign by writer Scott Harris-King and artist Jay Piscopo.  I've been a fan of Jay's for many years and his artwork of yours truly is part of the banner on this very site.  It's one of the favorite pieces I have.  



When the kickstarter was launched what caught my eye was the promotional pieces featuring the titular characters in old school wrestling posters, so I was automatically curious.  I backed the campaign and thankfully it was fully funded so I received my copy as well as some amazing bonuses including a copy of the wrestling poster, which was also a potential variant cover.


                        

As for the story, this book drops you literally into the middle of the action, and doesn't slow down, introducing you to it's unique cast of characters, including the titular characters, Army Private dealing with a crisis of confidence, and Golden Age detective Granny Gumshoe as they attempt to stop Nazi cultists from summoning Cthulhu. I don't like to give too much away in these reviews, so you'll have do yourself a favor and pick up a copy yourself. 

If comic books with Giant Monsters, evil nazi cultists, talking dogs, and a main event that takes place simultaneously at Madison Square Garden and a strange alien world, sounds like something you'd love, then this is the book for you, and also, we should be friends.  The book has a classic feel to it, and I really enjoyed it.

I recently received an update letting us know that there will be a rematch.  expect more about issue #2 soon.  In the meantime, if you want to check out the book for yourself you can head over to https://crimebustercomics.com/shop/ and get yourself one. 

-Mav

(*All images belong to the creators, the photos are from my personal collection.)

No comments:

Post a Comment